Promoting the strength and values of the local independent insurance agent.
The Independent Insurance Agents of San Antonio (IIASA) had its start in 1913 with eight members. Today the association represents more than 170 agent, affiliate, and associate Members from San Antonio and surrounding communities.
The IIASA Mission Statement was refined in 1998 for a more specific and forward-looking emphasis. Today, this declaration serves as the basis for all new undertakings and continuing programs: “IIASA seeks to promote the strength and the value of the local independent insurance agent.”
IIASA has developed a long-term partnership with the San Antonio Fire Department by sponsoring projects that both benefit the community and contribute to the insurance industry’s loss reduction efforts.
- The first of these is the Fire Prevention Week Poster Contest held each October in all area schools. Our members are judges in the citywide competition and we furnish the trophies awarded to the winners.
- Partnering with the San Antonio Fire Department during their annual Christmas Toy Drive in December. IIASA members can donate unwrapped toys during our December Luncheon then the SAFD will distribute those toys to children that need them the most.
IIASA sponsors an active Young Insurance Professionals Council, which aims at perpetuating the business of insurance in south Texas and highlighting opportunities available to young insurance professionals. Business socials and community service projects are undertaken to acquaint members and to prepare agendas that lead to the “insurance operations of the future.” Also, the Council contributes significantly to IIASA’s accomplishments by participating in membership events.
One of the most valuable and successful programs carried out by IIASA is our Texas Continuing Education series, an unequaled service to our members. These courses are available to all employees of all IIASA member firms at no cost, and the topics presented during the year will earn more than 30 hours of credit for general lines license renewal.
We are privileged to have the Myron F. Steves Insurance Professional Scholarship Program. In its pledge to “Excellence through Education,” the annual Steves Scholarship provides tuition for the full course of study required by the designations of ARM, CPCU, or any other designation administered by the Insurance Institute of America, CIC, CRM, RPLU, ACSR, and CISR. It is awarded on the basis of commitment to the insurance function and involvement in the industry and community. The scholarship is available to all individuals employed by Agent Members and Affiliate Members of the Independent Insurance Agents of San Antonio.
On key insurance and marketing matters, both philosophical and technical, IIASA presents the independent agent’s side of the story in our community. These common-front projects effectively alert prospective clients to the independent agents’ abilities and thereby individual agencies can market their unique attributes – independence, quality service, products and programs, and personal commitment to the community. The result is greater distinction for the independent agent, new sales opportunities and elevated status of individual agents as local business leaders.
A long range planning effort is mounted each term to work a business plan that will take San Antonio’s independent agents and the association into the future. With today’s fast changing marketing scenarios, we want our members to be well prepared for taking on “new looks.” Several areas of concern are usually identified and new directions are implemented.
Specific activities and membership benefits throughout the year also include
- Our annual Big “I” Fun Day where the whole insurance community comes together for good golf and good companionship
- Our Insurance Trade Fair held in March of each year with key vendors from throughout the state and open to all members
- Web Site with directory of all Agency, Industry and Company Members, including links to individual member sites, and information vital to insurance professionals in San Antonio.
- Membership luncheon meetings on a regular basis throughout the year high-level educational programs and important speakers.
- Special joint events with other insurance associations featuring renowned speakers and insurance experts.
- Bulletins providing technical information and the latest on activities within the San Antonio insurance community.
- Various marketing opportunities including event sponsorship's and PR events.